Making a Navy/White leaf Dress

(Simplicity 1458)

The pattern I used was Simplicity 1458AA.

Session 1
The fabric I used was some crepe fabric from my stash, which I brought from Cloth Spot last year. I wanted to make a dress that I could wear when going out during the day, this pattern has a full bust adjustment so after comparing my measurement with the pattern I decided to use the D fitting pieces, I cut out the fabric, transferred all of the nips and tailor tacks. I cut out the interfacing for the neck facing and pressed them together.

Time to start sewing, I followed the instruction to the letter. After much consideration, I decided to fully line the dress as there is a lot of seams and I haven’t got an overlocker at the moment, I thought my zigzag stitch on my machine would not give a professional finish.

Session 2
I cut out the lining and sewed it together as I did for the fabric (pressing as I go). I tried both fabric and lining on and made a few fitting adjustments. I attached the lining to the neck and arm holes, I fitted the dress again and found it a little bit big but decided to go with it for now as I wasn’t sure how the fabric would wash, I then attached the facing to the neck.

Session 3  

 I made the sleeve which have a very nice detail, it has a centre seam which has a V detail. Inserted the sleeves and completed all of the hand sewing, down the back of the zip, facing at the shoulders, with the hem I made some bias binding from the ling and bound the hem edge, to add a nice finish.

I have worn the dress and washed it, the fabric hasn’t shrunk so I am going to take the dress in slightly down the princess seams, the next one I make I will make a smaller bust size, but the dress is lovely and comfortable so there will be many more once I get the sizing right.

I hope you find this interesting and helpful.

Bye for now.